Rosyth played with the wind at their backs in the first half and it did not take them long to take advantage of the pressure that they were able to put Newburgh under.

With 9 minutes played a corner swung in from was drawn under the bar by the strong wind putting the Newburgh defence under huge pressure. A flicked header from Hampson curled up and over Sutherland in the ‘Burgh goal to give the home side the early advantage.

This was doubled just two minutes later. A wind assisted long ball forward from the back caught out Sutherland. The bounce on the artificial surface took the ball over the keeper’s finger tips into the path of Keith who made no mistake in blasting the ball home.

Newburgh started to adapt their play to the elements keeping the ball on the ground. Scott Sutherland and Craig Robinson both created chances but neither were converted.

On the half hour Rosyth once again took advantage of a mistake at the back caused by the gusting wind. Page rounded Sutherland and gave the home side a three goal advantage.

Just as everyone’s thoughts were turning to half time Hampson extended the home sides advantage once again. The goal of the game came from some excellent play down the right with a crossed ball being met by the prolific Rosyth striker to turn the ball past the advancing ‘Burgh keeper.

Rosyth continued to play well using the elements to their advantage keeping Newburgh pinned back in their own half. Lambert, Hutchison and Smart in the Newburgh midfield were struggling to make an impression on the game.

The second half opened up with Newburgh pushing for a foothold in the game but a resolute Rosyth defence held fast denying the visitors from making any early breakthrough. As the weather continued to effect the game the now driving rain made play difficult for both teams.

Sean MacBride, who was having a strong game at right back found himself more and more pushing up the right hand side supporting the midfield in their attempts to craft an opener.

Ryan Smart took a head knock just after the hour mark forcing him to leave the park to be replaced by Kyle Fraser. Craig Nicol and Sean Hastie were introduced to game for Scott Sutherland and Fraser Robinson.

Newburgh grabbed a late consolation goal in the 78thminute. Some good work in the wide left area allowed Craig Robinson to get beyond the defender and deliver a cross to Sean Hastie who smashed a shot into the net from 10 yards to open his goal scoring account for Newburgh.

Manager Scott Hudson spoke after the game “we didn’t adapt to the conditions in the first half and found ourselves 4 goals down and being left with an almost impossible task of chasing the game. All credit to Rosyth they played to their strengths and took advantage of the mistakes we made”. On Sean Hastie’s first goal for Newburgh “I am delighted that Sean has got himself his first goal for us. I am sure he will be looking to add to his account as soon as possible as he is a real hungry striker who knows how to put the ball in the back of the net”.

Newburgh are now without a game till the 5th of January as the fixtures close down over the Christmas and New Year period.

Newburgh faced Rosyth in very difficult weather conditions on Saturday. Rosyth, who are currently decanted to the fleet grounds 4g pitch,are awaiting the replacement of their ground. The wind and driving rain meant that it was always going to be a difficult game for both teams and so it proved.


Date Time League Season
December 15, 2018 1:30 pm South Premier League 2018-19 2018 - 19


New Recreation Park


Club1st Half2nd HalfGoals


5Aman Johal Defender
1Calum Sutherland Goalkeeper
19Craig Robinson Forward
8Fraser Robinson 11 Midfield
20Gordon Clark Defender
3Grant Skinner Defender
6Harris Lambert Midfield
12Jack Hutchison Midfield
14Kyle Fraser 18 Forward
18Ryan Smart 14 Midfield
10Scott Sutherland 18 Forward
11Sean Hastie 8 Forward
7Sean MacBride Forward
18Craig Nicol 10 Midfield