Livingston United v Newburgh match report

Newburgh’s 2019 got off to a poor start with the trip over the Queensferry Crossing resulting in a defeat to Livingston United.

Livingston have proven a strong side in the league this season and their experience showed against Newburgh.

The first 15 minutes of the game were a niggly affair with a flurry of fouls breaking up play for both sides.

Livingston took the lead on the 16th minute when a lovely cross was flicked up into the top corner of the goal by McLean.

Newburgh reacted instantly and dragged themselves level within 90 seconds of the re-start. God work in the box by Hughes and Sutherland made space for Sean MacBride to drive a shot low into the net restoring parity in what had been a fairly even game up to this point.

Livingston were awarded a penalty on the half hour when an overhead kick was handled in the area by Clark. Sutherland made a fantastic save from the spot kick but the ball fell to a Livingston player from the rebound. The ball was smashed home only for the referee to award Newburgh a free kick for offside much to the amazement of everyone in the ground

Playing down the slope Newburgh started to play well. Hughes and Sutherland both had chances to give Newburgh the lead. The best chance fell to Fraser Robinson was thwarted by a fantastic tackle just as he was about to slot the ball past the Livingston keeper.

As thoughts were beginning to turn to half time the home side took the lead. A deflected cross fell to Bryan Jaconelli who had time to pick his spot and volley the ball into the ‘Burgh net.

The opening period of the second half was close affair with neither team able to stamp their mark on the game. With 60 minutes played Livingston scored a fantastic goal playing the ball out from the back, through the midfield into the wide area where a cross was stood up for Tony Jaconelli lift the ball into the net.

Newburgh had to chase the game from this point onwards and with the home side soaking up the ‘Burgh attacks spaces began to appear in the Newburgh defence for Livingston to exploit. Tony Jaconelli added his second and Livingston’s 4th goal with 19 minutes to play and a final goal was scored by McGurk in added on time to give the game a slightly lopsided score at the end of play. 

Manager Scott Hudson was disappointed after the game “We never really got into our stride today and gave away possession too easily. The lads will learn from this and we will re-group over the next couple of games in the League Cup and come back stronger”.

Newburgh face Kennoway Star Hearts in the Thorntons property East Region leagu Cup this Saturday at East Shore Park. Kick-off is at 1:45pm

Start a Conversation

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.