Newburgh traveled to Stoneyburn on Saturday on the back of two subsequent defeats. Having lost to Bathgate Thistle at home, Newburgh’s first points lost at East Shore Park, they were looking to pick up their first points on the road in this fixture.

With Manager Hudson unavailable due to work assistant Scott Lawson took the reins. Gordon Clark replaced Craig Hall in the centre of defence alongside Aman Johal. Sean MacBride dropped into defence with the Robinson brothers starting together on the right hand side.

Stoneyburn started the game strongly pressing forward in the wide areas stretching the Newburgh defence which held fast limiting the home side to shots from distance that did not trouble Calum Sutherland in the ‘Burgh goal

With 17 minutes played Stoneyburn won a corner with a shot deflected wide by Johnny Milton. The corner was floated over to Evan Drew at the back post who rose un-challenged to power a header home.

Newburgh pressed forward with Fraser and Craig Robinson combining well stretching the home defence allowing space for Kyle Fraser and Scott Sutherland to exploit. Sutherland was seeing more of the ball and a neat pass from Johal led to the equalising goal with 27 minutes played. The ‘Burgh striker gathered the ball in and turned smartly making space to shoot from just inside the penalty area. The shot was blocked with the referee judging that the defender had used a hand to stop the flight of the ball awarding a penalty. Sutherland stepped up and converted the spot kick.

Protests from the home dugout resulted in two of the home management team being removed from the technical area.

The game continued at a frantic pace with neither team able to take advantage of the chances they created.

The second half was only five minutes old when Newburgh took the lead. Craig Robinson made good progress down the left hand side and with the Stoneyburn defence drifting towards the left Sutherland found himself in space in the middle of the box. Robinson did well to find his strike partner from the by line. Sutherland had time to gather the ball and pick his spot from ten yards out slotting the ball home.

Newburgh’s midfield trio of Smart Hutchison and Robinson were working hard to break up any attacks in midfield. The play was fast paced with Stoneyburn looking to grab an equaliser.

With just over the hour played Gallagher picked the ball up in midfield for the home side but Sutherland nipped in and took the ball off his toe as he was about to release a pass. The Stoneyburn defender fouled Sutherland attempting to regain possession and then swung a wild kick at the Newburgh striker. The referee had no hesitation in sending Gallagher off with a straight red.

Newburgh pressed hard to add a third goal with the advantage of the extra man. The home side contained them and created chances of their own to pull level with their wide players causing Newburgh defence problems whenever they drove on. Smart and Hutchison were finding more and more space in the centre of the park. Ryan Hughes replaced the tireless Kyle Fraser up front for Newburgh after 76 minutes.

Stoneyburn pulled themselves level with 82 minutes on the clock with an excellent goal from Robertson. A diagonal pass from Wade in midfield was perfectly weighted over the ‘Burgh defence for the wide man to lash a right foot volley home from 6 yards out.

Newburgh regained their lead with 2 minutes of regular time to play. Hughes who had looked lively since his introduction, picked the ball up wide on the left and drove forward beating his marker to make space for Sutherland on the right who beat his man and reversed a pass to find Hutchison free in the box. The young ‘Burgh midfielder, who had been having a strong game, turned well and guided a left foot shot high into the net.

Newburgh played out the remainder of the game in the Stoneyburn half. Sean MacBride was replaced by Grant Skinner as the clock was played out. With seconds remaining in the game Scott Sutherland picked up his second yellow of the game to be sent from the pitch early by the referee.

Coach Scott Lawson was delighted to have picked up the team’s first points on the road, “Our intensity levels were good today with the whole team working really hard for each other. We stressed to the team that there are no free points in this league every single point has to be earned and we really had to work hard to earn the three points today”. Lawson was positive about the contribution made by the whole squad, “we have lads playing who have taken their chance when selected and we have really good competition for places now. We know that anyone coming off the bench will have a point to prove as they want a place in the starting line-up next week”.

Newburgh start a run of three games at home next weekend with West Calder visiting East Shore Park. Kick-off is at 1:45 with the ground open from 1pm.

Stoneyburn Juniors v Newburgh 171118


Date Time League Season
November 17, 2018 1:45 pm South Premier League 2018-19 2018 - 19


Beechwood Park - Stoneyburn
14 Strathyre Dr, Stoneyburn, Bathgate EH47 8AZ, UK


Club1st Half2nd HalfGoals
Stoneyburn Juniors112


5Aman Johal Defender
1Calum Sutherland Goalkeeper
19Craig Robinson Forward
8Fraser Robinson Midfield
20Gordon Clark Defender
3Grant Skinner 7 Defender
12Jack Hutchison Midfield
23Jonathan Milton Midfield
14Kyle Fraser 9 Forward
9Ryan Hughes 14 Forward
18Ryan Smart Midfield
10Scott Sutherland Forward
7Sean MacBride 3 Forward